Crinnis

People often ask me where I go beachcombing and I never divuldge the best spots in Cornwall that are well worth a drive to get to, these are beachcombers secrets and to find them requires a combination of local knowledge and pure stumbling by chance!!! It is not obvious where to look sometimes because tides and currents can bring treasure from miles away, but Crinnis has always been a favourite of mine. Based outside St Austell it used to be a prime location for beachcombing, I remember only a few years ago trawling up and down the beach finding bags and bags of glass, so much so that you wouldn't be able to carry it all home!! Brilliant hues of Turquoise and bright fuchsia glass and huge slabs of sea pottery were usual pickings...
Unfortunately due to controversial developement on this man made beach alot of this glass has been buried under tonnes of sand. Also Crinnis, or Carlyon Bay beach, used to be the home to a bad but sorely missed nightclub and I believe alot of the glass deposited was a result of the mass drinking that went on there on Friday and Saturday nights, this being good for the lack of rubbish that was being dumped but bad for beachcombing seaglass, the only case of littering and dumped glass being recycled by nature. Not being near a port or reliant on other coves tidal deposits means this beach now has a severe lack of sea glass but this in turn has benefitted the local Eco system and also peoples feet!!! I found alot of very good driftwood though today that I will be using soon....but if you look very hard you may still find some treasure, my cousin found me a fabulous piece of teal sea glass today that made me smile!!!
If you want to see a video that will make you smile watch this amazing pure 80's video by Alison Moyet, set at Carlyon Bay beach, the pirate boat in the video was there untill the 1990's, I remember it being there when I was a child before it was moved for health and safety reasons, the boat was originally put there for a film and used as a prop...enjoy!!! Watch it here....
Link















Goodbye, untill next time!!!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular Posts